It’s been a sad week here in Chicago if you’re a fan of Dutch-style bikes as the Dutch Bike Company store here in Chicago has closed it doors. Mr. Ding noticed that things looked kinda quiet at the store Friday morning when he went past the store, and then the folks over at Chicargobike broke the story that afternoon on their blog.
While this means that you will no longer be able to purchase WorkCycles brand bikes from a local store here in Chicago, they are still available in the United States and there are still plenty of other local bike shops selling Dutch and Dutch-style bikes.Â The popularity of upright city bikes had definitely caught on here in Chicago – I can say this because I see more and more Dutch-style bikes around the city every day as I ride.
Chicago bike shops that sell Dutch and Dutch-style or “City”Â bikes:
- Blue City Cycles – 3201 S. Halsted, Chicago, IL 60608Â 312.225.3780
- Boulevard Bikes 2535 N. Kedzie Boulevard, Chicago IL 60647 773-235-9109
- Copenhagen Cyclery 1375 N. Milwaukee Ave.Â Â Chicago ILÂ 60622Â Â 773-456-0024
- Heritage Bicycles Chicago2959 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60657 773-245-3005 (Not Open Yet)
- J.C. Lind Bike Co 1311 N. Wells StreetÂ Â Chicago ILÂ 60610Â 312-643-1670
- Rapid Transit 1900 W. North Ave. Chicago, IL 60622 773-227-2288
- Roscoe Village Bikes 2016 W. Roscoe Street Chicago IL 60618 773-477-7550
U.S. Bike Shops that sell WorkCycles Bikes:
- AdelineAdeline 147 Reade Street (between Greenwich & Hudson) New York, NY 10013 212-227-1150
- Clever Cycles 900 SE Hawthorne Boulevard Portland, Oregon 97214 503.334.1560
- Dutch Bike Seattle 4741 Ballard Ave NW Seattle, WA 98107 206-789-1678
- My Dutch BikeÂ 575 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 415.644.0331
- Wheelhouse Bikes 528 Anacapa Street Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-845-6547
If you own a Workcycles bike , you should be able to find a local bike mechanic to work on your internal hub and take care of your steel-framed Dutch beast.Â Most of the local bike shops listed here have some experience with internal hubs – just ask them.