Back on Saturday, July 19th Chicago Cargo and Alt-Cycle Shop hosted another fun Cargo Bike Roll Call. Alt-Cycles provided the location as part of their grand opening in Lincoln Park. A bunch of Chicago cargo bike owners stopped by to provide the cargo bike eye candy. From family trucksters to utility bikes to delivery vehicles, there was something for everyone to look at. Oh, and there was beer, BBQ, and some great raffle prizes too!
These are just some of the bikes that stopped by the Roll Call.
Of course, our orange cargo bike was there.
Most cargo bikes have great attachments and accessories for kids seats, footrests, hand-holds, tow slots, panniers, you name it, to fully customize the bike, which you can spot in many of these photos.
Here’s an example of the Xtracycle extension attached to a Specialized StumpJumper.
No surprise that there were a fair number of Bullitt cargo bikes in attendance, all showing off how useful a cargo bike can be.
Yuba also makes a smaller cargo bike that’s aimed at urban cyclists who need a utility bike that requires less storage space and fits on bus bike racks and Alt-Cycles stocks them in regular or e-assist models.
A big thanks to the guys from Alt-Cycle for hosting the event for everyone.
And.. thanks to the all the vendors who donated goods for the raffle, including ABUS locks and Planet Bike Lights as the Ding Ding Let’s Ride family won items from both! We won the Big Bordo folding lock & case – which was immediately added to our cargo bike – now we don’t have to switch locks around. Thanks ABUS!
If you are interested in learning more about cargo bikes or taking a test ride for yourself, check out these Chicago bike shops that sell and service the different types of cargo bikes that are available in the US:
- Alt-Cycle Shop (2500 N. Halsted Stree) Yuba Mundo, Yuba Boda Boda, Bullitt, as well as electric assist kits for these bikes.
- Blue City Cycles (3201 S. Halsted) Yuba Mundo
- Boulevard Bikes ( 2535 N. Kedzie) Xtracycle
- Chicago Cargo (call to make an appointment) Bullitt, Omnium Cycle Truck
- Green Machine Cycles (1634 W. Montrose) Xtracycle/Edgerunner, SOMA Cycle Truck, SOMA Tradesmen, Bullitt, and CETMA cargo bikes too!
- J.C. Lind Bike Co. (1311 N. Wells) Yuba Mundo, WorkCycles Bakfiets, WorkCycles FR8, Christiana Trike, Winther Kangaroo Trike, JC Lind Triple Lindy Trike.
- Rapid Transit Cycle Shop (1900 W. North Ave & 1305 S. Halsted) Xtracyle/Edgerunner